Monday, October 22, 2012

Where It All Begins

Once upon a time, when fairy tales ruled... people met, fell in love, married, had children, then grew old together. No problems, life was good, shoot, life was perfect.

I'm not trying to burst any bubbles, but, the fairy tales lied. Nothing is perfect. There I said it. No one is promised life without rain... but, there are raincoats, umbrellas, boots. Do we choose to go forward regardless of the problems, or do we wallow in them.

In my world, nothing has ever been exactly what it seemed. And to be honest, I've learned that I'm ok with that. I don't need to be liked or accepted. I don't need someone else's approval for my clothes, my looks, or my religion. But... if you expect me to treat you one way, please treat me the same.

Now that's out of the way, on to the reason why I've started this blog.

One, I've always loved to write. If no one ever reads this then I'm ok with that. It's the only way I've ever been comfortable expressing myself. I'm using a public forum simply because I hope just one person would read it and feel a little less alone in their struggle. Maybe help someone find answers I had a hard time finding and confirming.

Two, for two beautiful boys we have been blessed to call sons. They have autism. The dreaded "condition" that everyone's heard of, but not many people seem to know what it is.

Well, one dictionary says autism is: a developmental disorder characterized by severe deficits in social interaction and communication and by abnormal behavior patterns, such as repetition of specific movements or a tendency to focus on certain objects. Autism is evident in the first years of life. It's cause is unknown.

At this time there is <u>NO cure for autism</u>. There are programs, wonderful programs to help those with autism "function" in the world. To help them replicate things others call "normal" behavior. To help them find a way to communicate with others. To help them appear to be a more "typical" child, instead of "atypical".

I'll write more about those later, as well as how I came to write this journal.
Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment