Friday, April 12, 2013

Routines, Schedules and Sensory Input

One week... that's how long the boys have had "intestinal distress", which basically means - there's been no school this week. The boys haven't even been able to have ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) every day.
sick day

Without their daily schedule and daily routine, they are virtually lost. We have worked a long time so the boys know that we have "free days" on Saturday and Sunday. Not that we don't have a schedule, but they know there are a variety of things we could do. So we tell them what we are planning for the day, and remind them on a fairly regular basis throughout the day. But when they're sick or have vacation (at home), it basically becomes a week long weekend. They get very confused when the weekend seems to last a whole week. They need that visual schedule and daily routine that tells them what the next activity is. Unfortunately, at home we haven't used one because the boys know the "routine" for after school and on days off. (Though we have discussed using one before too long since they're getting older and there schedules will become much more filled up).


schedule 1schedule 2

I have always been a "type A" person, or in other words, someone who has to have everything lined up so that I know what's going on. I had list upon lists to keep my day in order. I use to actually get upset when things didn't go as planned. I would plan my day out, to the smallest detail, based on what needed to get done. If anything was missed, it had to go on the "carry over till tomorrow" list. Trying to never putting anything off indefinitely. The boys have pretty much cured me of that. I now expect that things will change on a moment's notice (thought I still have my lists). That being said, I have a very general and yet miniscule idea of what my boys go through with the need for schedules.
IMG_0253IMG_0318ABA nose
IMG_0157DSC_0714IMG_0302

I try to be as considerate as I can for the boys and their need for schedules and routines. I've researched quit a bit and found that almost everyone with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) will need some type of routine, apparently in helps them to keep grounded. It helps them make sense of the chaos that they go through on a daily basis, beside learning about a world they don't understand, imagine being bombarded by: sounds, lights, smells, and other sensory input on a regular basis. Not like a typical person would be, but as I understand it, they will look at someone's face and see everything at one time. Not just noticing someone's eyes or lips, but everything stands out at one time. Meanwhile, they are hearing so many different sounds at different noise levels, and maybe smelling an odd smell they aren't familiar with. Many kiddos on the spectrum will study inanimate objects in detail, over and over. Some will study pictures in the same way. This is why they block out everything else in order to make sense of what they are seeing.

IMG_1057DSC_0688
I know it may sound confusing, but just think about what the person with autism goes through every day. Even my niece with Asperger's needs a certain amount of scheduling when going out somewhere. If things are changed without her approval (so to speak) she will have an anxiety attack until. I can't begin to imagine what that must be like, to have to balance all of those things at one time. And I thought I could multitask. It's no wonder that when the day is over, and the boys are unwound and fall asleep, they are OUT.
sleep time

From a mother's heart - keeping a basic schedule can help keep the family on the same page and a little happier too.
God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment