Monday, May 27, 2013

Autism Acronyms...

Acronym : "a word (as NATO, radar, or laser) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters"          online Merriam-Webster's Dictionary               http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acronym

The world is filled with acronyms. Some bring a smile to your face...   T.G.I.F. (Thank God It's Friday) - some, not so... looked forward to...    I.R.S. (Internal Revenue Service). Everywhere you go there seems to be an acronym for everything. I have to admit, I've never come across so many acronyms as I have since I learned about autism. There is an acronym for almost anything dealing with the spectrum. Many have a positive meaning, others not so much. These are the adjectives I use to describe my boys and others with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). When I look at our boys, truly look at them, I see all of the adjectives listed:
Astonishing, Unquenchable, Tenacious, Intelligent, Sensational, Magnificent
Super, Priceless, Excellent, Commendable, Thorough, Real, Unyielding, Methodical
Dedicated, Incredible, Surprising, Overt, Resolute, Detailed, Exact, Riveted

DSC_0616DSC_0063DSC_0046DSC_0016

For the past 3½ plus years (since diagnosis) we've been dealing with autism issues. I have done so much research on autism and the things that accompany it. I still research something almost every day, that has to do with autism in one way or another - and I'm still overwhelmed by all the information that is out there to sift through. I'm also very disappointed in how hard it is, in many places, to get the proper diagnosis early on. Especially since early intervention is so important in helping autistic kiddos. With everything I've learned so far, I've come to realize that we have actually been dealing with ASD for the past 5 years now. Only we didn't realize it and those around us didn't know that they were particularly autistic behaviors. They just thought it was just particular to the boys start in life.  In all that time, we have had to learn virtually everything on our own or through others who are dealing with someone on the spectrum too. We have a great pediatrician, but he and other pediatricians still don't seem to be... well... very informed about autism. Luckily they do seem to be informed about some things that can go with autism:

A.B.C. - Autism Behavior Checklist          D.S.M. - Diagnostic and Statistical Manual          O.C.D. - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
A.D.D. - Attention Deficit Disorder          A.D.H.D. - Attention Deficit Disorder       O.D.D. - Oppositional Defiant Disorder
O.T. - Occupational Therapy          P.T. - Physical Therapy          S.I. - Sensory Integration          T.S. - Tourette Syndrome
A.S.L. - American Sign Language          D.D. - Developmental Disabilities

I am not speaking about all pediatricians, I am simply making a general statement based on my experience and that of others I've talked to. We've been blessed with a great pediatrician and nurses who have helped us go in the direction we needed to. The other parents of autistic kiddos are also a great source of information, maybe even the best source.There is a whole language all it's own with ASD, a lot of acronyms and other terms which you may never hear in your life time unless you are associated with the world of autism. A few more acronyms like:
A.B.A. - Applied Behavior Analysis          A.D.O.S. - Autism Diagnostic Observation Scale          A.I.T. - Autism Integration Training
A.S. - Asperger's Syndrome          M-C.H.A.T. - Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddler's          D.T.T. - Discreet Trial Training (or Therapy)

These are only the tip of the iceberg, like I said previously, autism has a language all it's own. The acronym's can make you crazy some days, and others they can make you laugh. For example, when you know a bunch of acronym's and someone asks you a question (and the answer's an acronym) good luck saying the right one the first time. :P

From a mother's heart - Communication - regardless of how it's done is what's most important - especially when it's communication with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment