Friday, September 20, 2013

More Sensory Processing Information

When I began writing about SPD (sensory processing disorder), the only things I was able to find was article by researches, scientists and neurologists. That's not to say others have written on it, or even explained it. I just finding what I was looking for - maybe typing the wrong thing into the search bar. Now, I'm beginning to see a lot more information, and am so glad the word is getting out. Hopefully it's getting out to the people who need the information the most - the parents and caregivers of those with ASD (autistic spectrum disorder).

SPD

When I first heard of SPD, I had know idea of the scope, or that there are actually different types. Like ASD, there are actually (what I call) sub-categories that make up SPD. There are many stereotypical people with SPD, you just don't usually hear about it. But I haven't heard of anyone yet, who is on the spectrum that isn't affected by some type of SPD. We actually see it happen in our home every day at some time with the boys. Whether it's a meltdown, some form of stimming, getting up an running. We have to take measures to help alleviate the different stimuli that they are feeling.

photo 1DSC_0605

I've found that there are many different things that can be diagnosed as SPD or SID (sensory integration disorder). Some names and meanings have changed over the years, and will probably continue to do so as more more information is learned. There are medical and research-based facts, and also theories that have yet to be proved or disproved. The following all apply in some way to sensory issues:
  • Sensory Integration Disorder
  • Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Sensory Modulation Dysfunction
  • Dysfunction of Sensory Integration
  • Somatosensory Dysfunction
  • Threshold to Response
  • Tactile Defensiveness
  • Gravitational Insecurity
  • Dyspraxia
  • Somatodyspraxia
This information is explained further here:  http://school-ot.com/Sensory%20101.html#top

I found this information very helpful, this and other articles anyway. It's at least given me the ability to begin to understand a little more of what our kiddos are going through. I hope this will help you too. I'm sure I'll revisit SPD again, especially since I've learned that it plays a very BIG role for kiddos on the spectrum.

From a mother's heart - hopefully in the near future more people will know about SPD. We will also be able to see the signs quicker. By doing this, maybe we can help our kiddos to get what they need faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment