Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Everybody's Normal Till....

There's this book written by John Ortberg called Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... Ready? No one is "normal". People who are "typical" may be the "norm", but they still aren't normal. I have always said that I was not normal, that everyone who knows me knows that I am not the "norm". I ask the inappropriate questions, I say things without necessarily thinking how they will sound. I wasn't the brightest bulb in the closet as a teenager, so suffice it to say, I've learned to be a little more truthful than I should be sometimes. But that's me. I'm proud to say I'm not normal. Now with all that being said...

We learned when we went through the assessment processes with our boys, that autistic children are considered "atypical" they are not the "norm". Well then, I ask, who then, is? We all have our ideas of what normal is, but how boring a life would it be if everyone were "normal". I think I'd go insane. I would love to have the "perfect family", little ones all neat and tidy, picking up after themselves, helping with chores... Instead, most everyday ends with the old commercial "Calgon, take me away".

calgon

Once we decide to acknowledge the fact that no one is indeed perfect, normal or even close things should be a little easier. We all have our flaws, quirks and pet peeves. So, doesn't that really mean that we are all atypical in some way? Are we any less or any more than someone else because we are technically "all" atypical? I believe that once we realize this, we should be able to get past the assumptions and judgements we have a tendency to make about others. What a burden would be lifted.

Now, we should be able to get past this inherent flaw we have to judge others. It shouldn't make you feel better because "I am thinner than her" or "I'm smarter than him" etc. Just because someone doesn't think or learn in the same way as someone else, does not make them less than.

Merriam-Webster says the medical definition of Atypical, an adverb, means: " : not typical : not like the usual or normal type ". Most people can not tell someone has an ASD just by looking at them. They don't look any different than anyone else. Aside from the way they act in different situations, you might never know. (This also depends on the severity of their disorder).
cinequest

Question: Which one of the children in the picture has autism. Take a long hard look, they are all in a play/musical called:     Autism: The Musical.
Look really close and see if you can tell. Do you think you can tell which one it is? Be really careful. Of course, those who really know me, know that this is indeed just a trick question... Every one of the children in the photograph have autism. They are in fact a group of autistic kiddos who got together back in 1988 with Cinequest, to put on a musical about autism, using autistic kiddos.

The moral to today's message, never judge a book by it's cover and give everyone a chance to show you what's on the inside.

From a mother's heart, with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment