Sunday, January 6, 2013

Teachers and ABA Instructors - YOU ROCK!!!

Well, tomorrow is back to school for the boys. I must say it will be welcome... by the boys and me. Not that I don't enjoy my time with them, but I have come to realize that I can't give them everything they need. I find it difficult to keep them both so busy with a routine that they can be truly engaged. I think what makes it tough, is what I've grown up thinking was fun, engaging and fulfilling, isn't what two boys with autism think of at all. About the only things we all agree is fun, entertaining and fulfilling are: the play ground and Disneyland. While Disneyland is great, it's generally not something we can afford to do more than twice a year (and that's only because of annual passes). The playground, while exciting and fun, is also only a once in a while adventure. Mainly because as much as I love to take the boys, I generally don't have the help I need to be able to monitor where they both are at one time. While Anthony is pretty good at staying close, he realizes that most of my attention will be on Daniel (since Daniel wanders). It's like the "twin connection" kicks in and they decide they'll both go in two different directions and "see what mom does"...

IMG_0156  D at school

Being on the spectrum makes it so they require so much attention. Not that a typical child doesn't, but because those on the spectrum truly live in the moment virtually all the time. It takes so much more repetition for the child with an ASD to really grasp what it is they are to do. I am so grateful for all the teachers, ABA behavior instructors, doctors and all those who work with children who have special needs.

I am very much in awe of the teachers and ABA behavior instructors who work with autistic children full time. They have a special place in my heart (and I think... in heaven). They have so much patience and love that they stick with it when they work with our kiddos. It's a choice they make, they consciously go into it, knowing they will be working with children that generally are not going to show any appreciation. They are so focused and gentle when it comes to helping them learn. It is definitely not an easy job. I'm not in the classroom, except special occasions, because I am too much of a distraction for my boys. We are very blessed to have two very loving and cuddly sons, they will not only allow physical contact - such as hugs or snuggling, they will actually seek it from the family. (Of course I realize that it isn't for our benefit... but that's a topic for another day). However, in the classroom, one of the boys may completely ignore me, while the other sees me and has to be with me from that point on. Then once the other has had enough of class, they will seek me out to let me know it's time to leave. (Even though it isn't of course).
 
IMG_0387DSC_0004

I am very grateful to be able to watch the boys as the ABA behavior instructors work with them. I not only learn, but have input on how we work with them. I have learned many of the "tricks" to get them to work (even though they won't "sit" and work with me) so that, we as a family, can use those "tricks" in practical everyday situations. For instance, if the kiddos want something to eat, we will keep telling them to "use their words" until they either ask for what they want, or tell them to "say,____" to get what they want. We constantly tell them to "look at me" when we want them to focus on what we are saying, or trying to get them to engage.

I also give single parents a big thumbs up. I can't imagine being a single parent at all, but to be a single parent with a child on the spectrum.... WOW! I know what it's like to not only have twin boys that are autistic, and I don't always get the help I wish I had, but to have to do it alone. Oh my word, you singles are awesome to manage at all, let alone with the coordination it takes to make sure your kiddos are getting what they need. I know that I am so pleased with the services we receive - it helps so much, and I know in the long run, our boys will be so much better for it.

Don't forget to thank those who have such a big impact in your and your child(ren)'s lives. And don't forget that you are special too, you have been given a wonderful opportunity, to make a difference in the life of a child - one that may not have had a chance otherwise.

From a mother's heart. Have a wonderful and blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment