Monday, December 31, 2012

Promises...

With the new year just a day away, we pause for a moment to reflect on the last year and also look forward to the new year. Each year millions (at least) of New Year's resolutions are made. Based on some studies it is said that less than 10% of all resolutions made will be kept throughout the year. I have a challenge for anyone out there... don't make resolutions... make promises - realistic promises to yourself and those you love.
  •       Don't resolve to lose weight... promise yourself to eat healthier and try to exercise when you can
weight-scaleBalancedHealthyDiet2
  •       Don't resolve to be a better person... promise yourself to think of others first, treat others as you wish to be treated and help out when you can
HelpingHand

The list of course goes on and on. For every resolution washed down the drain, a promise can kept more easily kept. People, for some reason, find promises mean more than resolutions. Especially when made to another person, they have the peer pressure - so to speak - to keep them on track.

For me, my promise is to my boys, my family and every person affected with an ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). To help my boys be the best they can be, to get them any services I am able to, which will help them to grow. I promise to do all I can to make others aware of what autism is whenever I can. To do my part to help others to function in a world that doesn't recognize their special way of being. To love everyone I come in contact with enough to want them to be informed about something that is growing so rapidly, that almost everyone will be affected by an ASD within the years to come.

DSC_0266

Please learn, teach, get involved somehow, even donate if you can to autism research. But mostly, don't judge others by what may seem like a tantrum by someone they are with. It just may be a disorder you know nothing about. Ask the person they are with if you can help them in some way, they are probably embarrassed or just as uncomfortable as you are to witness it. If you have children, recall the time(s) and how you felt when your child misbehaved or had a tantrum. Let them know you understand their position. I state it this way because anyone affected by autism (wherever they may be on the spectrum) already has a compassion, and a kinship if you will to others in that situation.

From a mother's heart:
autism puzzle 1 - Copy

No comments:

Post a Comment