Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Not What I Thought...

So sorry for the delay in posting... We have just finished a week of busy and sickness. Boys are all better and finally went back to school today.

I ordered what I expected to be the next size up for a kiddie table. The one currently being used by one of our boys is getting a bit small. After all, kiddos grow and wooden tables don't. So anyway, we receive the new table - and of course it's "assembly required". As I am preparing to pull all the parts out of the box, I start to realize that the table is about the same size as the current table in use. I check it out and sure enough, it's the exact same size. Well, I recheck Amazon to make sure the dimensions for the table I ordered are indeed bigger than the one received. Because, after all,  it can't be my mistake... right? I search the order and item description and sure enough, the height I saw was... for the chair, not the table. Well, now I have to return the table and order a new one.
kiddie table
I'll be the first to admit that I don't see things like most people. I have a tendency to get off track by following my own thoughts. I will think of one thing, that leads to another, then another, then another. I do realize a lot of people do this, however, I have been told that I have tendency to easily go "off track".  For example: this table and chair order led me to » check description of order » returning » reordering » will it be the right this time » how many people order wrong » X » X » X » to having kiddos, and expecting things to turn out a certain way. So now I'm on the topic (in my mind) of how we - who want children - think about how it will (should) be. Most people expect things to go relatively smooth, realistic enough to know that there will be a few issues here or there. Then, we have those dreams of having the "best baby" ever. We expect things to go well or at least be manageable.
couple w baby
With the first baby, we are a little scared - mostly because of the "will I be a good parent" questions. Not because we think there will be issues with our kiddos. It doesn't ever go the way we "expect". Maybe at first we think that all the other parents were just exaggerating about how exhausting or difficult it is. Then reality sets in after a few weeks of sleepless nights. Once routine is established and we are "back on track", we are on our way to becoming the "professional" parents we knew we would be. (Even though we are making it up as we go along). Right???

Nothing in this life is how we "thought" it would be, or "think" it should be and we learn that as we grow. We all have preconceived notions on how something should be and it generally turns out quite different. It's even more certain when dealing with children. We all want that perfect family but the truth is, there is NO SUCH THING! There are so many types of issues that affect us all now, it's virtually impossible to have a family without some type of issue, disorder, illness, disease, dilemma, etc.

Once we get past our ideas of how we think things could be; lose all expectations of what should be; debunk all notions of what will be, we can begin to accept the way things are. We can then learn to realize that just because things are not what I thought they would be, doesn't mean they are less than or not as good as. Whether you dealing with: autism, ADD, ADHD, diabetes, mental health issues, or any kind of special needs in your family, learn how to move forward. That's the only way I think we can learn to be content and comfortable knowing that there is no place like home, sweet home.
home
From a mother's heart - make your home a place you want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment